HomeAnza Borrego Backcountry

Hard to get places in Anza Borrego which require 4WD or hiking

Goat Canyon and the rest of the railroad Messages in this topic - RSS

railexplorer
railexplorer
Posts: 63


11/13/2013
railexplorer
railexplorer
Posts: 63
Since desert season is upon us, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. There is a group, known as the Pacific Imperial Railroad (PIR), that has leased the desert line, (Campo to Plaster City) from MTS and is in the process of getting the line up and running. They've completed their initial assessment of the line. They have some "new" engines sitting down in Plaster City. The Carrizo Gorge Railroad Police are still an active force and are still patrolling the line.

The PIR, has a $500,000 payment due in December to MTS. I haven't heard officially how big their work list is to get the tracks open, but from my various sources its pretty extensive. The plan was to have work trains starting sometime this winter.

So if you head out towards Dos Cabezas and the rail line be on the lookout for equipment moving on the rails.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469


11/14/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469
Thanks for the info, it will be interesting to see trains active on the rail again.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


11/15/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
Yeah not sure how I feel about that. Guess hiking the tracks will be out.
On the other hand it would be cool to take a rail tour through Carrizo Gorge

dsefcik wrote:
Thanks for the info, it will be interesting to see trains active on the rail again.


--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link
railexplorer
railexplorer
Posts: 63


11/16/2013
railexplorer
railexplorer
Posts: 63
surfponto wrote:
Yeah not sure how I feel about that. Guess hiking the tracks will be out.
On the other hand it would be cool to take a rail tour through Carrizo Gorge


Hiking the tracks will be out, if they actually get this project off the ground. The big question is, Will they actually be able to get it running and keep the line running? The numbers that I've seen don't add up and a lot of people I've talked to about it feel the same way.

As for a rail tour through the Gorge, your only hope for that will be to know someone who works for PIR. It'll be a strictly freight operation. If you've got an hour to kill here's a video shot from an engine that went through the gorge.

link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268


11/17/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Posts: 1268
Funny. Watched part of the video.
Daren and I saw that train in Carrizo Gorge when he was showing me some pictographs a while back.
Check my quick video on the post.
Guys waved at us wink


railexplorer wrote:
surfponto wrote:
Yeah not sure how I feel about that. Guess hiking the tracks will be out.
On the other hand it would be cool to take a rail tour through Carrizo Gorge


Hiking the tracks will be out, if they actually get this project off the ground. The big question is, Will they actually be able to get it running and keep the line running? The numbers that I've seen don't add up and a lot of people I've talked to about it feel the same way.

As for a rail tour through the Gorge, your only hope for that will be to know someone who works for PIR. It'll be a strictly freight operation. If you've got an hour to kill here's a video shot from an engine that went through the gorge.



--
http://www.anzaborrego.net/



link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software