HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Found Camper Part in Sheep Canyon Messages in this topic - RSS

DesertWRX
DesertWRX

12/14/2013
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Found a flue vent cover in Sheep Canyon. Anyone on the forum missing one?
link
anutami
anutami

12/16/2013
anutami
anutami
No, but did you come across an actual camper out there? I seemed to have lost mine!!!!!!!!

edited by anutami on 12/16/2013
link
mrkmc
mrkmc

12/16/2013
mrkmc
mrkmc
Whoa! What happened??? Wind?
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

12/16/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Nolan (anutami) wrote:
No, but did you come across an actual camper out there? I seemed to have lost mine!!!!!!!!
WTF??!! Whaaaaa?

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
anutami
anutami

12/16/2013
anutami
anutami
I am pretty sure it was a mixture of the rutted out road and a sudden burst of wind. I didn't even know the camper came off until my daughter told me. I am headed out there today to take care of it!

I am pretty sure my truck is totaled too.
Luckily we are all okay!!! And everything is insured...
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

12/16/2013
rockhopper
rockhopper
Yikes! I've had my share of bad luck too, but man. Glad you are OK. Stuff can be replaced.Shock
link
mrkmc
mrkmc

12/16/2013
mrkmc
mrkmc
Bummer, hopefully your insurance will take car of you on this.
link
ziphius
ziphius

12/16/2013
ziphius
ziphius
Yikes! Glad everyone is ok!

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
DesertWRX
DesertWRX

12/16/2013
DesertWRX
DesertWRX
Does this mean you don't want my flue cover?!
link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb

12/16/2013
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Oh no. Glad everyone is okay. That is a very sad picture. Is that your new camper?
link
anutami
anutami

12/16/2013
anutami
anutami
Yeah our new camper! Still pretty shaken up, this weekend we spent up fishcreek and had one of the best trips yet.

Got it out today thanks to Dickerson Towing! Looks like everything will be taken care of by insurance, I added the camper to the policy about 3 weeks ago.

The weak point on the camper.
link
tommy750
tommy750

12/16/2013
tommy750
tommy750
Wow, that's terrible! But if it was going to happen, better on 085 than I-8 going 70. Glad your insurance will cover the damage.
link
wintyfresh
wintyfresh

12/18/2013
wintyfresh
wintyfresh
Oh man, that stinks! Fingers crossed everything gets taken care of quickly and to your satisfaction.
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

12/19/2013
rockhopper
rockhopper
I'm still trying to see where the camper was bolted to the bed? Am I missing something?
link
anutami
anutami

12/19/2013
anutami
anutami
rockhopper wrote:
I'm still trying to see where the camper was bolted to the bed? Am I missing something?

The camper bolts to the black hardware coming off the bed of the truck. You use turnbuckles to attach the camper to the truck.

In the picture you can see the turnbuckle still attached to the anchor point on the truck camper. This anchor was sliced in with a small piece of plywood and that is what ripped off. This is thr front of the camper right where the fridge sits which is the heaviest part of the camper and would need to have the most strength. I contacted another owner of the same camper I have and his anchor points were not spliced in! It looks like I got a lemon. I also contacted the manufacturer and they said it was my tie downs that were faulty. I find that very hard to believe as I used the same tie down system on my last camper and had zero issues.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

12/19/2013
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
umm...I ain't no camperologist or engineer but that is clearly a design flaw, 4 screws holding a piece of plywood and expecting that to hold the camper on???? Those buckle clamps need to bolted/welded to a solid part of the camper frame...just MHO...

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

12/19/2013
rockhopper
rockhopper
Daren is correct. Looks like faulty manufacturing. That 3/4" +/- plywood piece is not continuous to the main camper frame. Looks like a glue joint failed. Glued joints don't due to well in combined tension + bending or shear. That metal plate with the thru bolts is about 100x stronger than the failed joint.
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

12/20/2013
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Wow I am sorry Nolan,
That is scary.

Glad you guys are OK.

Bob

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

link
anutami
anutami

1/6/2014
anutami
anutami
Just wanted to give a quick update on my truck settlement... So my insurance gave me a choice on a 12k settlement and give up my truck or a 10k settlement and I can keep the truck. I chose to keep the truck and get it fixed as the truck bed was really all that needed to be fixed. My truck has the legendary 7.3L diesel that everyone talks about so I could not give it up. Just got the truck bed fixed

Taking the bed off

New 2014 bed fits my 2001!!

Only cost $1800 for a new bed and bumper although my truck now has a salvage title

Still waiting on the settlement for my camper
edited by anutami on 1/6/2014
edited by anutami on 1/6/2014
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

1/9/2014
rockhopper
rockhopper
Glad it is working out for ya. I would have done the same thing with your truck. Any word from the Camper manufacturer?
link
Andy
Andy

1/9/2014
Andy
Andy
Wow, I cant believe that so little has changed on those in 13 years. Glad to hear that things are slowly working out. Just curious, was the camper and truck treated as two separate claims/settlements?
link
anutami
anutami

1/9/2014
anutami
anutami
Andy wrote:
Wow, I cant believe that so little has changed on those in 13 years. Glad to hear that things are slowly working out. Just curious, was the camper and truck treated as two separate claims/settlements?

Yeah it is crazy Ford has kept the same basic design and the same oxford white color. The color match is identical! I also upgraded to the new bumper. There is something to be said about buying a white vehicle. The place where I bought the truck bed had about 20 white Ford truck beds and that was it. No other color. It is 1 claim but 2 different settlements. Luckily I chose a $100 deductible for comprehensive coverage which the claim is coded under. So for both settlements It only cost me $100 (plus paying insurance every year for the last 22 years at about $100 a month for a total of $26,400). Also, it is nice to know my insurance will not go up because I was not at fault in the accident. California law allows your insurance to raise your insurance ONLY if you are at fault in the accident. The camper value came in at $20,500 and I accepted it. I contacted the manufacturer, northwood manufacturing, and since I really like their camper design (except for the tie down anchors) they are looking to help me get into another one.
link
Borregolinda
Borregolinda

1/10/2014
Borregolinda
Borregolinda
Will your insurance company still give you full coverage with it salvaged? We looked at selvedge vehicles a couple of years ago but our insurance company wouldn't give us anything but liability.
link
anutami
anutami

1/10/2014
anutami
anutami
Borregolinda wrote:
Will your insurance company still give you full coverage with it salvaged? We looked at selvedge vehicles a couple of years ago but our insurance company wouldn't give us anything but liability.

Yes, wawanesa is one of the few companies to offer full coverage. They diminsh the value by 30% should it be totalled again though.
link