HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Carrizo Mountain & Indian Hill: Dec. 13-15th, 2013 Messages in this topic - RSS

AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham

12/22/2013
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Carrizo Mountain is a hidden gem in our local Southern California desert. The narrow shelf roads up the mountain are only open six months out of the year, from July 1st to December 31st. This provides big horn sheep uninterrupted access into this mountainous habitat. Realistically though, there are only three months out of the year were we humans can recreate on Carrizo Mountain during cooler weather, from October to December.

With an elevation of 2,408 feet, Carrizo Mountain is the highest point along the Coyote Mountains; a small, rocky range situated at the transition between the higher Peninsular ranges of San Diego County, and the lower Imperial Valley and Salton Basin. The mountains are located in far-southern California not too far from the Mexican border. The range and summit lies within Imperial County, abutting the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

Check out the link for more photos and the complete trip report: Carrizo Mountain & Indian Hill
edited by BorregoWrangler on 12/22/2013
link
ziphius
ziphius

12/24/2013
ziphius
ziphius
Nice trip Wrangler. I once poked around the southern part of the Coyote Mountains in mid-summer after a flash flood, looking for fossils in the deep shade of the canyons. Not too bad if you stay in the shade! Have you seen any bighorn in that range in your trips out there? [ I see from your blog that you've encountered bighorn tracks. ]
edited by ziphius on 12/24/2013

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham

12/25/2013
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Jim (ziphius) wrote:
Nice trip Wrangler. I once poked around the southern part of the Coyote Mountains in mid-summer after a flash flood, looking for fossils in the deep shade of the canyons. Not too bad if you stay in the shade! Have you seen any bighorn in that range in your trips out there? [ I see from your blog that you've encountered bighorn tracks. ]

Yeah, some friends of mine actually caught sight of some on their way up the mountain. I haven't seen any myself up there for years.

edited by BorregoWrangler on 12/25/2013
link
tommy750
tommy750

12/26/2013
tommy750
tommy750
BorregoWrangler wrote:
Jim (ziphius) wrote:

Yeah, some friends of mine actually caught sight of some on their way up the mountain. I haven't seen any myself up there for years.

edited by BorregoWrangler on 12/25/2013

I've seen sheep up Fossil Canyon twice and in Butaca Canyon once in the last couple years. Haven't seen any in the lower northern part of the Coyotes. Tom.
link