HomeProduct Reviews

Review a product you have used out on the trail

Subject: Solar Recommendations Messages in this topic - RSS

Veke
Veke

2/20/2014
Veke
Veke
Do any of you guys carry a solar rechargeable unit when in the back country? I was thinking of purchasing a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar Kit. Any first hand reviews? Basic need for recharging phone, tablet and camera battery. Need the tablet for kids at night. Incase you were wondering. Little one still afraid of the dark. LOL!
edited by Veke on 2/20/2014
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

2/20/2014
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
The fold-able or roll-able ones work pretty good and come in a variety of wattages
We have a Brunton Solaris as well as a a PowerFilm
Both are probably more power than you need but they have models with lower wattage since we use our to run our fridge or charge the aux battery in the Landcruiser

I wrote a review a while ago about the Brunton Solaris

Amazon has both available if you do a search. I am guessing a 10 watt or more would work for you.

Veke wrote:
Do any of you guys carry a solar rechargeable unit when in the back country? I was thinking of purchasing a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar Kit. Any first hand reviews? Basic need for recharging phone, tablet and camera battery. Need the tablet for kids at night. Incase you were wondering. Little one still afraid of the dark. LOL!
edited by Veke on 2/20/2014

edited by surfponto on 2/20/2014

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb

2/20/2014
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
I have the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Solar Kit which includes a Nomad 7 solar panel and the Guide 10 battery pack. It might be a little smaller than what you are looking for but I have had it for a couple of years and it has worked great. I carried it on the John Muir Trail last summer and never ran out of power for my phone, inReach, headlamp, or camera. I take it on most every trip, even car camping or in the truck camper. It will not charge a tablet but supposedly it will give it a boost of 25%. REI sells Goal Zero stuff and they have a great return policy if it does't fit your needs.
David
link
Veke
Veke

2/24/2014
Veke
Veke
Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and purchased a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar kit as my friend had one and we were able to use it during our camping trip last week in Corn Springs. A little pricey but with his discount I can save $125 off the asking price. Very pleased and thanks for all the replies. I was hoping to further use the unit this weekend in AB but I see a nice Pacific storm is finally making its way in.
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

2/24/2014
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Is that this one ?
Goal Zero 42005 Sherpa 50 Silver/Black Solar Recharging Kit with Inverter

Didn't realize they also have a battery with them. Pretty cool

Veke wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and purchased a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar kit as my friend had one and we were able to use it during our camping trip last week in Corn Springs. A little pricey but with his discount I can save $125 off the asking price. Very pleased and thanks for all the replies. I was hoping to further use the unit this weekend in AB but I see a nice Pacific storm is finally making its way in.

edited by surfponto on 2/24/2014

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

link
Veke
Veke

2/25/2014
Veke
Veke
It's a pretty sweet solar toy.
link