HomeUpcoming Trips

Post your upcoming trip out to Anza Borrego here. Great place to organize a group trip.

Subject: Cactus Spring Trail backpack : March Messages in this topic - RSS

rockhopper
rockhopper

2/25/2014
rockhopper
rockhopper
With Rain/Snow in the forecast FINALLY!!! I am prepping for a 3-4 day hike along the Cactus spring trail sometime in mid March. Plan A is to park off Hwy 74 in a safe parking area and hike all the was thru down to the base of Martinez canyon
to an other vehicle. Preferable would be a 4x4 Any takers? My truck is a Tundra 2wd. Plan B if is to reverse the trip hiking up the trail. I have hiked to the Auga Alta spring from the Hwy 74 side and have hike up Martinez canyon and Agua Alta canyon multiple times but never a "All the way thru trip".
Its about 20 miles more or less. 4 days would be ideal to allow a middle day for day pack exploring. Highlites would be
1. Hiking on the 1000+ year old trail connecting the mountian to desert
2. Horse thief creek. Main water source.
3. Martinez peak option.
4. Jack Miller Rock House built in 1925 option
5. Multiple Native American camping sites

Total hiking would be about 30miles or so including a day hike. Of course this is all flexable at this point.
The best senario would have plenty of rain water at lower elevation and hike up the trail as the climb has some step sections. Most of the trip is a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. But a few sections are 9.5++ if we go the Agua Alta route.
edited by rockhopper on 2/26/2014
edited by rockhopper on 3/17/2014
link