HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Jacumba Mtn from Tule Mtn Messages in this topic - RSS

ImpatientHiker
ImpatientHiker

4/6/2014
ImpatientHiker
ImpatientHiker
This morning I had a chance to see some rugged ridgeline a amazing views. Parked at north base of Tule Mtn near Sacatone Spring in McCain Valley and started off about 6:30. Climbed Tule and followed ridge over a bump & down thru a valley to a peak overlooking Carrizo Gorge. I dropped down a steep main ridgeline from there to the Carrizo streambed where I turned north. I turned up a canyon just before Goat Canyon which led to an old workcamp and a ridge over a tunnel straight into the Jacumba mtn spine. It took a lot of climbing to stay on that ridge all the way to Jacumba Mtn where I stopped for lunch at 12:15.
The return was pretty tough as I just beelined it back to the gorge. There were a lot of canyons and little ridges to cross before I got close enough to the gorge to pick a ridge to descend. My first choice cliffed out after I had descended quite a ways and had to climb all the way back up to traverse across to another ridge. That one was steep but it worked and after some bushwacking thru the tamerisk I was climbing back out of the gorge. I picked a ridge just south of my earlier descent and followed it straight up to Tule by 4:15
I stopped often and saw some really cool stuff but man, that gorge ain't easy to get across.
edited by ImpatientHiker on 4/7/2014
edited by ImpatientHiker on 4/7/2014
link