HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Sombrero Overnight Backpack Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

5/4/2014
tommy750
tommy750
Friday after work, I finally threw all the overpriced lightweight backpacking stuff I bought at REI about a year ago into my pack and headed out for a little trip. Actually, this was my first overnight trip ever excluding once in a college backpacking PE class. Decided to head out to Sombrero Peak and muck around since the desert floor was heating up. My pack weighed in at 40lbs which is insanely heavy for a dayhiker but apparently no big deal for the backpacker crowd which I have yet to join.

This must be the way.
The Way to Sombrero by tomteske, on Flickr

Headed down Canebrake road toward Sombrero Peak. On the way back found a nice uniface right in the middle of the road about here. If you start at Cottonwood East and take Canebrake Rd, you can now hit an ATV trail (BP?) that will take you right up to the ridge west of Sombrero and skip traversing the brush choked ravines you used to cross in the last mile. Progress?
Canebrake Road by tomteske, on Flickr

An old abandoned ranch on the way. Old magazines lying around were dated to 1992 which seemed about right.
Canebrake Ruins by tomteske, on Flickr

Canebrake Ruins2 by tomteske, on Flickr

An old corral and chute to the north just outside of the ABDSP boundary.
Canebrake Chute by tomteske, on Flickr

Entering the park. A small portion of it jogs south to this point after passing just below Sombrero Pk.
Canebrake Boundary by tomteske, on Flickr

Tule Mt and Jacumba in the distance.
Toward Jacumba and Tule by tomteske, on Flickr

Decided to camp at the saddle below the peak.
Sombrero Saddle by tomteske, on Flickr

Nice view of the Tierra Blancas and Carrizo Badlands.
Sombrero Saddle Dusk by tomteske, on Flickr

Mandatory night sky with tent illuminated by headlamp time exposure smile
Sombrero Night by tomteske, on Flickr

The next morning.
Sombrero Sunrise by tomteske, on Flickr

Packed up and headed down into the draw below. Found a few rock features and sherds but couldn't really explore much because of time commitments.

On the way back started seeing sherds and flakes in the trail which apparently crossed a large village site.

Lots of morteros.
Villiage Morteros by tomteske, on Flickr

Nice core. Almost looked like it could have been some sort of hammer stone since it had a lot of pitting and abrasions on it.
Village Core by tomteske, on Flickr

This loo looks like a modern addition to the site smile
Village Loo by tomteske, on Flickr

The site was well onto BLM land so I'm not sure how this sign fit in.
Village Sign by tomteske, on Flickr

Almost stepped on this guy as I was approaching Cottonwood.
Cottonwood Horned Toad by tomteske, on Flickr

Eleven miles, 2000ft gain/loss, 5 liters and a nice time. Not convinced I'm cut out for the heavy backpack "Lug Life" but time will tell. No heavy DSLRs next time for sure! Enjoy. Tom
link