HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Carrizo Gorge Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

7/27/2014
tommy750
tommy750
Met up with Daren last Friday for some hiking and camping. Ended up heading out to Goat Canyon via Carrizo Gorge mainly since I'd never been. Was near 90 degrees at the start and over 100 when we arrived at the trestle which is about 600 ft closer to the desert floor. Total of 15 miles in and back.
A few railcars are still at the siding past De Anza Resort. Like to find interesting details in these steel boxes.

Steps by tomteske, on Flickr

Timkin by tomteske, on Flickr

Further down, Daren spotted this ewe and immediately sensed something wasn't right. She kept going in and out of the tunnel entrance and only slowly walked away as we approached.

Guardian Ewe by tomteske, on Flickr

When we entered the tunnel, we discovered why.

Lamb Fall by tomteske, on Flickr

We figured the lamb must have died within the last 24 hour since no smell, hardly any flies and no predation. Looked like it had struggled to stay up with several areas nearby looking like it could barely stand. Being spectators to the persistent maternal yearning for a now deceased lamb was sad to say the least. Daren says the lamb was born way too late in the season to have a decent chance at survival.

Struggling by tomteske, on Flickr

No human company the entire way except a few military choppers flying up and down the gorge.

Carrizo Cobra by tomteske, on Flickr

Several miles out there, looks like someone ran out of juice before reaching their destination.

Scooter by tomteske, on Flickr

After ten tunnels, the trestle. Couple panoramas and time to get back in the shade.

Goat Canyon Trestle Panorama2 by tomteske, on Flickr

Goat Canyon Trestle Panorama by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren lugged a huge camera and tripod all the way out and started looking like Ansel Adams sans the beard

Asel Sefcek2 by tomteske, on Flickr

On the way back, these guys were kind enough to wait while I shed my pack and grabbed for my camera. Haven't seen bighorn around here this close up before so it was pretty exciting seeing seven of them take their time passing by.

G7 by tomteske, on Flickr

Someone's missing something.

Missing Something by tomteske, on Flickr

Heading home. Found the remains of another lamb on the way back and saw cat tracks walking to a spring inside one of the tunnels.

Heading Home by tomteske, on Flickr

The only pic I managed from our campsite on Table Mt after a few too many refreshments. Enjoy. Tom

The View by tomteske, on Flickr
link