HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Indian Valley Summer Solstice Cave & Torote Canyon Messages in this topic - RSS

AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham

1/12/2015
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham

The fourth hike of my 52 Hike Challenge was to the Solstice Cave in Indian Valley and Torote Canyon . You can't find any specific directions to the cave online or in any guidebook. The lack of info helps protect this special archaeological site. Torote Canyon, a tributary of Indian Gorge, shelters dozens of rare elephant trees. For many years it was thought not to exist at all in the United States, until it's official discovery in 1937.

The only reference to the Solstice Cave I knew of was from a brief mention of it in the Sombrero Peak hike description in Jerry Schad's book, Afoot & Afield in San Diego County- "On a slope above this drainage, archaeologists have identified an Indian ceremonial site keyed to the rising position of the sun at summer solstice." I had also seen photos of the cave on a few online sites and forums, but with no specific directions to it. However, a friend who had recently found the cave after several exhausting searches was gracious enough to give me a few hints to its location, while stressing the importance of not sharing its whereabouts anywhere online. Its a special place that's been kept unspoiled. So on a rainy Sunday morning, while still fighting a cold, I set off with a few others to find the cave.

Full write up here: http://johnandautumnsadventures.blogspot.com/2015/01/indian-valleys-summer-solstice-cave.html
edited by BorregoWrangler on 1/12/2015
link