HomeAnza Borrego General

Anything about Anza Borrego that does not fit into one of the other forums.

Sheep / deer at the water trough? Messages in this topic - RSS

ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


1/21/2015
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
There is a rectangular water trough at 32.6736 -116.1091 near Mountain Spring, just west of 8. In satellite view on caltopo.com (and Google Earth), it looks like there are 2 animals side-by-side drinking at the edge of the trough.
edited by ziphius on 1/22/2015

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469


1/21/2015
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469
That is Bighorn country and looks plausible....guess we will have to stop and take a look next time we are out there...good eye...but I know why you were looking at a water trough to begin with....smile

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


1/21/2015
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
dsefcik wrote:
...but I know why you were looking at a water trough to begin with....smile


Nothing more fun than 'connecting blue dots' on the map to plan a long trip. smile Might require some caching. Of course, you're invited.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469


1/21/2015
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469
Jim (ziphius) wrote:
dsefcik wrote:
...but I know why you were looking at a water trough to begin with....smile


Nothing more fun than 'connecting blue dots' on the map to plan a long trip. smile Might require some caching. Of course, you're invited.
Just let me know the details, you have my contact info. I am half planning some kind of extended backpack trip for Spring Break.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


1/21/2015
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
dsefcik wrote:
That is Bighorn country and looks plausible....guess we will have to stop and take a look next time we are out there...good eye...but I know why you were looking at a water trough to begin with....smile


Now I've convinced myself that the topmost 'animal' is an adult male. smile

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 952


1/21/2015
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 952
Nice find, Jim. The 8/28/14 GE imaging for the desert area is fantastic. Was out there last year ( http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/forum/topic898-yuha-and-mt-springs-exit.aspx ) and saw 14 sheep with tons of prints and scat leading to Mt. Springs. Got to the spring area at dusk and only saw the empty troughs closer to the freeway. Missed the trough you're seeing. Before you stop on I-8 and spend too much time exploring the old stage stop etc, check GE for the CHP cruiser parked a few yards uphill on the eastbound shoulder. They've been known to cite people there. upset
link
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170


1/21/2015
AdventureGraham
AdventureGraham
Posts: 170
I've seen some rams making their way down to the spring before. Last time I was there I saw crawfish in there too.
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


1/22/2015
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
BorregoWrangler wrote:
I've seen some rams making their way down to the spring before. Last time I was there I saw crawfish in there too.


Crawdads in the desert. I love it!

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469


2/1/2015
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469










--

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862


2/1/2015
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 862
Hey, what did you do with the sheep? That algae looks suspiciously like blue-green cyanobacteria, can be a problem for dogs and humans alike :Blue Green Algae. If you drank any and lived, let us know.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 952


2/1/2015
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 952
Reminds me of my neighbor's swimming pool smile Were there still coins on the edge of the triple trough?
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469


2/2/2015
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2469
tommy750 wrote:
Were there still coins on the edge of the triple trough?
Didn't really look too close, it was windy and I didn't want to be seen by highway patrol so I just snapped the photos and left fairly quick....maybe next time.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software