tstone1227

all messages by user

1/6/2017
Topic:
Route Advice for IP/Canebrake/Red Top

tstone1227
tstone1227
Hi All,

I am planning an overnight backpack with a couple friends to the Tierra Blanca - Canebrake - Inner Pasture area. I was thinking of doing a point-to-point from Mountain Palm Springs to Agua Caliente. Is this feasible? I am an experienced off-trail desert hiker and backpacker but have never been to this area before. We will be carrying 6-8 liters per person. It looks like it is about 11 miles point-to-point from the topo I have; I was thinking of coming in through Torote Canyon into Canebrake Valley, then following the old road up into Inner Pasture for the night. Might try to bag Red Top in the morning before heading out through Moonlight Canyon.

I guess I am looking to see if anyone can recommend the easiest passable route into Canebrake/IP from Mountain Palm Springs, or if this is too ambitious for an overnight and I should just go in-and-out from Agua Caliente? I tried to attach my .pdf topo with the possible routes mapped out on it; does anyone know if these canyons are impassable/rougher than the others? What is the best route to ascend Red Top from Inner Pasture/Canebrake? How far do I have to skirt around the Crawford Ranch? Thanks in advance.
1/9/2017
Topic:
Route Advice for IP/Canebrake/Red Top

tstone1227
tstone1227
Thanks Jim and dsefcik! Originally I was just going to explore Indian Valley, but then I saw Jim's posts including the one about Red Top, which made me want to check out the Inner Pasture in the first place. Awesome pictures.

Red Top isn't a goal, just thought I might be able to bag it on the way, but if it's a 4 hour summit then I suppose I'll have to save it for another trip. I wonder if it's accessible from either the east or the southeast wash into Canebrake; that route looks pretty steep...

Definitely not an ultrarunner! I know I could do 11 miles in 2 days easily on a trail, but this is rocky desert so that changes things of course. I think I will take dsefcik's and your advice and leave Red Top for another trip. I hope the Torote north fork is passable into the Canebrake wash as I have it marked out. If I make it back I'll post pictures smile