HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Indian Hill and RR Camp area Messages in this topic - RSS

TR
TR

10/5/2011
TR
TR
I went out Saturday for a day hike in the Indian Hill area. I got a late start. I figured I would hike out to the rail road camp first, and swing back and check out the rock art at Indian Hill on my way back. I had checked out the map. It showed a 4 wheel drive route from Dos Cabezas Road across the valley from the tracks to the track on the other side. Cutting off the loop of tracks to the north. A trip report said the 4 WD road started at the end of the guard rails on Dos Cabezas road. When I got there it was blocked off and signed no off road vehicles. So I continued on, and parked off the road and hiked in. After crossing the tracks and the steep chasm on the other side, I ran into what I thought was the 4 WD road.

So I hiked across the dessert keeping it to my right as I went. Later I discovered that this was not the 4 WD route. It was to my left as I hiked. The 4 WD road ran parallel to this old road. They came together eventually after about a mile and a half. I'm thinking it was an old wagon route used by the rail road workers.
After a short time I found my first ever pottery shard!

I was pretty excited. I've found morteros before, but no pottery shards.
Then I started finding old cans from the Rail Road days.

Try as I might, I didn't find the RR Camp. I figured it would be easier to spot, with the great quantities of cans, the blasting power keg wall, and the "chin up bar" door frame stick up. But I missed it. I think I was close.

This section of track was stamped 1913.
I didn't find the cave and the rock art. I figured that it was okay, even Daren didn't find it his first trip out.
There was a thunder storm over the Carrizo Palms area, so I thought it best to head back. As it was I didn't make it out of there until 6:45.

All in all I consider the trip a sucess, I found the pottery shards and the cans, and lizzards and jack rabbits, but no snakes. And any day hiking in the desert is a good day.
link
hikerdmb
hikerdmb

10/5/2011
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
Looks like it was a great day. You are right not to worry about finding those things on your first trip out there because now you have a reason to return and give it another shot. Once you find one piece of pottery you can't help but find more. That is a great area to keep going back to visit. And now that the weather is changing it is even better.
David
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

10/5/2011
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
From the pics you were really close TR.
I love that area. Daren and I did a day hike out there (in reverse) a while ago.
It is amazing at what you can find out there.
Bob

hikerdmb wrote:
Looks like it was a great day. You are right not to worry about finding those things on your first trip out there because now you have a reason to return and give it another shot. Once you find one piece of pottery you can't help but find more. That is a great area to keep going back to visit. And now that the weather is changing it is even better.
David

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

10/5/2011
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
I recognize the boulders/cans/wash/landscape. Where you saw the pottery and cans was close to a large bedrock mortero area

I totally remember the big boulder with the indentation on the top. The thing with pottery is once you find some you end up seeing it everywhere. If you stay with the jeep road you will eventually see the railroad camp, you may not have ventured far enough up the wash. I really like the rain funnel pictures.

What vehicle do you drive and how did it fair with the uphill section just north of the Dos Cabezas tower? My truck suffered some damage the last time out with Bob, nothing serious, just some scrapes and a broken front fender flap.

Daren

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
TR
TR

10/6/2011
TR
TR
Daren;

I took the Land Cruiser. It's stock. I haven't had it lifted yet.
I know the section that you are talking about. And I intentionally wanted to see if my 4 WD training would pay off, because I bypassed it on my trip in June. (There's a road around it from Mortero Wash road) Well, I made it through in both directions without any damage.

I pondering lifting the Land Cruiser. I have to lift it 2 1/2 inches to put 33's on it. (It running stock 31's right now). But I so short, it is all I can do to climb up in it now. I don't know how I'll get in it if I lift it 2 1/2 or 3 inches.
link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

10/8/2011
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
You could always put side-steps on it once you lift it smile

33s give you a lot of clearance and make 4-wheeling pretty easy. (At least the 4-Wheeling we do)
We went with the OME lift for our 80 Series and the ride is much better than stock.

When yo decide to lift it give my friend Mike at West Coast Cruisers a call.
He has a great price on the kit,

Bob

TR wrote:
Daren;

I took the Land Cruiser. It's stock. I haven't had it lifted yet.
I know the section that you are talking about. And I intentionally wanted to see if my 4 WD training would pay off, because I bypassed it on my trip in June. (There's a road around it from Mortero Wash road) Well, I made it through in both directions without any damage.

I pondering lifting the Land Cruiser. I have to lift it 2 1/2 inches to put 33's on it. (It running stock 31's right now). But I so short, it is all I can do to climb up in it now. I don't know how I'll get in it if I lift it 2 1/2 or 3 inches.

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

link