Veke

all messages by user

2/11/2014
Topic:
Subject: Presidents Weekend

Veke
Veke
How full does the park get during President's Weekend. I've been visiting Death Valley for 26 years and I think it's time to change it up and expand my knowledge of this great desert. Unfortunately DV becomes a zoo during this holiday and it discourages me from wanting to visit there so I was wondering what the impact is on AB. I have two boys 8 & 5 and would love to visit here. Any advice would be encouraged and very well appreciated.

Cos
2/11/2014
Topic:

Veke
Veke
Thank you for responding to my post. Since I know nothing of AB and have been trying to educate myself on AB by reading completed trips and such what would you recommend as a must see and it being somewhat remote? I do own a Chevy Silverado 4x4 crew cab truck. General areas as to being the quietest and kid friendly is what I'm after. Since I live in Cucamonga I would think that the best place to enter the park would be from the S86?
2/11/2014
Topic:

Veke
Veke
Can you recommend a book on AB that would explain all the different camp sites, trails and places of interest? REI or Amazon that would carry? Thanks
2/11/2014
Topic:

Veke
Veke
Thank you so very much. I'm overwhelmed with information. Over the years I've been able to establish relationships with a few DV wonderers and have been blessed with those relationships. My basic question is are any of the diehards on this forum open to meeting new families and creating new friendships? I'm into photography and enjoy hiking especially now that my boys get it. Just asking if there are any interested.
2/12/2014
Topic:

Veke
Veke
Thanks for all the information and responses to my post.

I'm unfamiliar with AB and am currently on the fence as to whether this is the right weekend to get familiar with AB. I would hate to show up and it be so crowded that my camping choices would be limited. Hope to run into a few of you guys sometime. Enjoy.

Cos
2/13/2014
Topic:

Veke
Veke
Advice well taken. I guess my first trip will be to knock out the easy stuff and see what AB is all about and be a tourist. So with that said this weekend will not be my maiden voyage by any means. I will be out in AB the weekend of Feb. 28th - Mar. 3rd and get familiar with the park. Can't wait. I think I might be visiting Corn Springs for the 2nd time since I didn't give myself any time to explore the area on my first visit. It's easy to have a plan B if the CG is full.
2/20/2014
Topic:
Subject: Solar Recommendations

Veke
Veke
Do any of you guys carry a solar rechargeable unit when in the back country? I was thinking of purchasing a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar Kit. Any first hand reviews? Basic need for recharging phone, tablet and camera battery. Need the tablet for kids at night. Incase you were wondering. Little one still afraid of the dark. LOL!
edited by Veke on 2/20/2014
2/24/2014
Topic:

Veke
Veke
Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and purchased a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar kit as my friend had one and we were able to use it during our camping trip last week in Corn Springs. A little pricey but with his discount I can save $125 off the asking price. Very pleased and thanks for all the replies. I was hoping to further use the unit this weekend in AB but I see a nice Pacific storm is finally making its way in.
2/25/2014
Topic:

Veke
Veke
It's a pretty sweet solar toy.