justinlowery

all messages by user

1/7/2015
Topic:
Gear Reccomendations

justinlowery
justinlowery
Darren, have you looked at some of the UL gear suppliers like ZPacks.com and Mountain Laurel Designs? I know Andrew Skurka used their MLD28 Quilt to go down to some pretty frigid temps on his Alaska-Yukon expedition. It's my current bag, though I haven't had the chance to use it below about 40 yet, it's extremely light and warm, and packs down really small. Zpacks has a 10 degree quilt that weighs in at around 14 ounces or something like that, but it is a bit short. The MLD one I have is an XL size, so I can be completely wrapped up in it head to toe. I know you're not looking for conventional stuff, so figured you might like some of their gear.

The Western Mountaineering bags I've heard great things about, as well as the Mont-bell Spiral Down Hugger bags, for anyone else looking for a more conventional sleeping bag type setup, as opposed to a UL quilt.

P.S. - my first post on here - long time lurker, and avid Anza-Borrego / desert explorer.
edited by justinlowery on 1/7/2015
2/13/2015
Topic:
Mortero Canyon Road

justinlowery
justinlowery
I've been out driving and hiking all over that area on two trips in the last two weeks. I drove the entirety of Mortero wash both times, out to Piedras Grandes the first time and out to Indian Hill the second. As always 4x4 is strongly advisable, but I only used it on one or two very short spots. As long as you have good clearance and large enough tires, you should be fine in 2wd. It will be a bumpy ride, but the ground is hard packed as long as you stay in the tracks, and you shouldn't get stuck. If you plan to go right Dos Cabezas, the bypass is tricky. There really isn't a &quotgood&quot way around, but the best way from what I saw was to take the Dos Cabezas Mine access road which connects from Motero to Dos Cabezas diagonally and bypasses the technical part. You'll see the rutted section immediately to the side of the mine road near the intersection, and it is quite horrible, so the mine road is really the only &quotsafe&quot option. It's a stunningly beautiful area. Have fun out there, and leave it as good or better than you found it! smile
edited by justinlowery on 2/13/2015
edited by justinlowery on 2/13/2015
11/6/2015
Topic:
RT fm ESCO 11/7 Rod Cyn->WndCaves->Fonts->LwrWilws

justinlowery
justinlowery
mattherrington wrote:
Three rides so far departing North County Fair 11/7 8A - Banner - Rodriguez Cyn down, check out some easy access mud caves in Arroyo Tapiado, Diablo Drop Off looks to be inappropriately named now that it's graded, Wind Caves, The Slot, Cut Across/Palo Verde, Font's Pt, town, Desert Gardens/Lower Willows.

various capability rides, stock Rubicon, 80 series LandCruiser, lifted FJ Cruiser. Few CB's, plenty of recovery gear and hi-lifts. All welcome. More toys the better!

Hey, just saw your post about the trail run tomorrow. Might like to to join up if it's not too late. Coming from the north near Temecula, so it would make it easier if I could intercept somewhere along the route. I'm running in an older 4Runner, good tires and reasonable clearance but open diffs. Fair bit of of experience out there and some decent recovery gear. Feel free to message me or post back if you get this in time. I know it's very last minute, so it's not a big deal if it doesn't work out, just thought I'd drop a line.