mattherrington

all messages by user

11/4/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

mattherrington
mattherrington
Well, that sucks. I'm running out there on Sat with some guys that have never been there and was planning on getting some good "pucker factor" out of the second drop and the subsequent 200yds of canyon. Is loop wash graded too? I remember it being a little rough years back. I'll post this on the upcoming trips too but we're going to run 11/7 8A North County Fair - Banner - Rodriguez Cyn - Arroyo Tapiado area - Drop Off - Wind Caves - the Slot/Cut Across area - Fonts Pt - Lower Willows. Only tough spots are optional so far are the rock gardens in Rodriguez Cyn.
11/4/2015
Topic:
RT fm ESCO 11/7 Rod Cyn->WndCaves->Fonts->LwrWilws

mattherrington
mattherrington
Three rides so far departing North County Fair 11/7 8A - Banner - Rodriguez Cyn down, check out some easy access mud caves in Arroyo Tapiado, Diablo Drop Off looks to be inappropriately named now that it's graded, Wind Caves, The Slot, Cut Across/Palo Verde, Font's Pt, town, Desert Gardens/Lower Willows.

various capability rides, stock Rubicon, 80 series LandCruiser, lifted FJ Cruiser. Few CB's, plenty of recovery gear and hi-lifts. All welcome. More toys the better!
11/4/2015
Topic:
Un Cabeza Del Lobo

mattherrington
mattherrington
So... after wandering around the western edge of the park I eventually tracked down the (out of print and somewhat rare) complete writings of Marshall South consisting of the Desert magazine articles themselves, letters to the editor, and misc stories. Fantastic pictures of living on Ghost Mountain, BTW.

While most Santa Rosa treasure stories still existing (which were published in the late 40's as well) are secondhand or worse tales of pocket gold surrounding Rockhouse Cyn one of particular interest was a Marshall South story about finding the lost emerald mine. MS wrote a pretty loosely detailed account of their expedition, where they started, what they found and such. In the end it proved simply an adventure as they found the old indian mine area covered by landslide but found the tell-tale geographic features, a grave uncovered by the slide, beryl, and a very small emerald.

I'd love to validate this 1948 story and to put a picture to his sketch. Anybody know this story? How do I share this stuff with others here without accidentally encouraging some knucklehead to be out there digging holes for me to fall into some night?
11/5/2015
Topic:
Un Cabeza Del Lobo

mattherrington
mattherrington
Sweet vague encouragement.... That's enough for me! Not that any time spent out is a fools errand but I just didn't want to wander for just the sake of wandering. I lie to get out of the house enough.

Seems like I met you (or your twin) oncoming traffic near the top of Whale Peak a winter or two ago. Two guys having come from either the W or S approach (not the Pinion Mtn road easy way as we had come) near the top and your twin was ruthlessly dispatching cairn after useless cairn (I mean, all you've got to do is get to the top) back to whence they had came. Sound possible?
edited by mattherrington on 11/5/2015
11/5/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

mattherrington
mattherrington
Is there a sticky about how to post photos? I've got a cool shot of coming out of the narrows right as is really gets into Fish Creek below the drop off and I'm wondering what happened to this sign.... Wait. got it.

This was from 2010 when the Cruiser was little but I think this sign disappeared the next time I went through there. Anyways, is this graded too? Sounds like yes if it's graded everywhere up (SW) of there.
edited by mattherrington on 11/5/2015
edited by surfponto on 11/5/2015