sddarkman619

all messages by user

3/5/2013
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge East Fork to Carrizo Palms

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I know this thread is a bit old but...
I used to geocache alot and used to talk to "Gecko Dad" a bit. He was freinds and hiking buds with Jerry Schad of "Afoot...".
Gecko Dad gave me coordinates to the Carrizo Palm area and told me about a shamans cave in that area. I'm supposed to go there this weekend but been fighting a cold so I may have to reschedule this.

I know people here, or on ANY board with historical places don't like to openly share things, as do I, but I was wondering if any one might help me with this one?

Thanks
Larry
edited by sddarkman619 on 3/5/2013
3/5/2013
Topic:
The Hunt for the elusive Carrizo Gorge Pictographs

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
That sign that says road closed, is that at the drop down ledge in the gorge? I used to drive down that drop off and park the truck at a hill of rocks and hike to the trestle from there. It's a bit of a workout hiking UP to the trestle from below near that drop off, but it's a nice hike too.

I've also been looking for these pictographs for a while, anyone care to message me and help me out? I'm supposed to be heading there this weekend for photos.
Thanks
Larry
3/5/2013
Topic:
Introduction...

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Howdy folks, Larry here and a short intro. I've been looking at this site for sme time and finally decided I should join it.

I LOVE Carrizo Gorge, and the surrounding areas. I USED to live in Jacumba, boy was that an adventure.

I saw some posts about Davies Valley and Pinto Wash, want to check those places out someday, I know they are closed to vehicles, does that mean Bicycles too?

I did a geocaching trip into Myers Valley and above it and that's when I decided I needed to check out Davies Valley too. I've heard though it can be a bit sketchy with the illegals in the area? any word on that?

I've replied to a couple posts on the Carrizo Pictographs and about a Shamans cave in the Carrizo Palm grove. Would like to check those out...

anyway here's a couple galleries of two of the 3 trips to the trestle so far. The third trip was going to Indian hill and crossing over to the railway and walking down the tracks to the trestle. I didn't really take any pictures of that trip as it was not too exciting.
Trips 1:
http://www.gothicsandiego.com/shoots/trestle02292004/index.html

Trip 2:
http://www.gothicsandiego.com/shoots/geotrestle/index.html

Does this group of rocks look familiar to anyone? there was a geocache in there but I'm wondering if this is close to the Carrizo pictographs? This is just after the drop off/drop down where the old road closed sign was. You can't go any further with a vehicle from here.

Train crossing the trestle:
3/5/2013
Topic:
Introduction...

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
BTW I think they've been cleaning caches out of national parks and state parks as they don't want people trashing the places.
3/5/2013
Topic:
DesertUSA - Shaman Cave story

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Isn't that cave in Indian Hill?
Isn't that the solstice cave or something like that?

I've heard of a Shamans cave in the Carrizo Gorge by the Palms.
3/6/2013
Topic:
DesertUSA - Shaman Cave story

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
We are heading out there friday and staying all weekend. I however am still sick so I may not be making it. My friend Brian who I've hiked carrizo gorge with most is going. We have a facebook group called man camp if you wanna join us.
3/6/2013
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Sounds like you took the easy way out. smile
We hiked all the way to the bottom of goat canyon beneath the trestle, then hiked up that to the trestle. and man was that an experience, and yeah that was the hard way, see my page here:
http://www.gothicsandiego.com/shoots/geotrestle/index.html

We actually took the easy way out too, on the way out. Instead of going back the way we came we hiked the tracks and cut down the side of the hill when we got close to our trucks.
edited by sddarkman619 on 3/6/2013
3/6/2013
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Here's a photo of the drop, and a water drop. Is this near the Carrizo Picto's?

3/6/2013
Topic:
Burial Grounds behind Jacumba?

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I lived in Jacumba for a while, and I've also toured around there and done some shooting out there. Behind Jacumba is a place we used to shoot that mysteriously looks like an old burial ground. I'm going to attach a picture and a link to this place on google maps. If anyone's been out there and knows what I am talking about, your thoughts?

The way out on this trail is by crossing the railroad tracks at the old Jacumba train station. However last time I was out there there was a fence and barb wire gate put up so I didn't go out there, especially since there was a border patrol right by there. I just passed on it that time. There are other trails off old highway 80 you can take to get back there, the trail from behind Jacumba isn't the only way.
Here's the link to the map:

and here's the picture of the area with the "graves" circled. The "graves" are rock piles that look to have been warn down a bit, but if you get out there you will see what I am talking about.

3/6/2013
Topic:
Introduction...

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Yeah I just went to my geocaching profile and read about this. It's been a while. I'm not sure but I think Virtual Caches are allowed aren't they?

I'm going to have my friend get mines if it's still out there and remove it.
3/6/2013
Topic:
Burial Grounds behind Jacumba?

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Thanks Jim, Yeah I typically don't or wouldn't do that, not sure why I included the link but I removed it. Many people have already been there to this place. you can tell when you go there by all the bullet casings. I'm pretty sure someones also tried looking into the mounds. Either way, I removed the link. I know about the GPS stuff in cellphones and have mine turned off. and those photo's on the site I've posted my trips to were taken with a dSLR so no data there either.
Thanks for the welcome!
3/6/2013
Topic:
Introduction...

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
hikerdmb wrote:
Welcome to the board Larry. Nice pics in your links above.

Hey thanks much!!!
3/7/2013
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
tommy750 wrote:
The Carrizo shaman cave is a great site and I'm glad you visited it. Was at an archaeology meeting a few months ago and met an old timer who told me there's another cave upstream. Forgot to bring his map when I was last out there January 27 and never found his site. Regarding the overpainted figures, they've been noticed since at least Treganza's report in 1942:

Tom, you mention someone visitied the Shamans Cave, but which is the Shamans cave? that's the cave I'm looking for near the palms. Can you help with the location? Are you speaking of the cave near the palms or where the carrizo pictos are?

Thanks
Larry
edited by sddarkman619 on 3/7/2013
8/7/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Speaking of the squeeze, just got my lift done on my 2015 Tacoma and was wondering if anyone knows if the new Tacomas will make it through there?
My old 2000 Tacoma did with no problems.
8/7/2015
Topic:
Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves Map?

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I've seen this site:
http://www.hiddensandiego.com/wiki/index.php?title=Preview_Arroyo_Tapiado

and wondered how legit it was? it looks like it's in disrepair and in order to get access to maps and such you have to pay a membership fee.

I found this site too but the maps aren't all there:
http://www.powayusd.com/teachers/rdohm/Cave/Mud_Cave_Info.htm

anyone know about it or know where to find maps for the mud caves area?
8/8/2015
Topic:
Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves Map?

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
The Mud Caves are legit...maps someone may have created to sell are at your own risk I guess. You can just go out there and start poking around, you will find them...especially when there are 5 million other people all parked there and running around.

I know the caves are legit but was wondering if the website with the maps was...
will PM
8/8/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
The Pinyon Mtn Rd is closed before it gets to the Squeeze, you can't drive thru there anymore.

You can't drive the squeeze anymore? why? wow this is the first I've heard of that. Why did they close it?

so I guess the only way to get to split mountain now is from ocotillo wells route? or?
edited by sddarkman619 on 8/8/2015
10/2/2015
Topic:
Drone use in the Park

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I'm a flyer,and will be getting a professional videoing system soon for mine and I intend, if it's still allowed, to video some nice spots. I understand though that it's not always wanted and I for one am annoyed with them at times even though I fly them, I think a permit system for videoing via drone would be good. Help to slow the process and limit it to an extent.
Not all drone pilots are idiots. there is a level of respect and knowledge needed, and maybe a course on this should be mandatory.

Let's not group all drone pilots in one bad group. I'm sure if some of you flew one and took some shots you'd see the allure of them.

In any case check out this nice video of a sunrise over the badlands:
https://youtu.be/hs2PE6rYyXE
edited by sddarkman619 on 10/2/2015
10/2/2015
Topic:
Drone use in the Park

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Jim (ziphius) wrote:
Friends of the Anza Borrego Desert Facebook page cited a generic regulation (see games and recreational activities) in support of the drone ban.

I don't' see that as being applicable to drones. I think it would be more applicable to drinking games or dangerous activity like drinking and driving rather than drones.

I don't see anywhere that Drones are prohibited in ABSP
10/2/2015
Topic:
Looking for a mechanic to install lift on Tacoma

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
JBHogan wrote:
Hello forum members,

Longtime lurker, first time poster here, looking for a reputable mechanic or shop to do a mild lift on a late model Tacoma.

My plan is to purchase a Bilstein 5100 kit to get a basic 2" lift, but I don't have the resources available to perform the install work myself.

I'm posting here in hopes that someone here will have a recommendation for a decent shop in the San Diego County area.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, ~J

I did my own lift for my 2015 taco. I have the tools if you have jacks and jack stands. and I don't mean the little jacks from the local parts store or walmart.
4" in front and 3" in back to lift and level.
10/2/2015
Topic:
Drone use in the Park

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:

As I stated in my first post of this topic, drone use is a hot topic and will be for some time, everybody has an opinion about them.....the photos from them are really cool and the tech is amazing but.....

But what? A war drone? hahahaha that's a bit different than what we fly.
10/3/2015
Topic:
Drone use in the Park

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Just got off the phone with Sally out in ABSP and drones are now not allowed. so you will all rest easy tonight. smile
10/4/2015
Topic:
Drone use in the Park

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
Florian wrote:
sddarkman619 wrote:
In any case check out this nice video of a sunrise over the badlands:
https://youtu.be/hs2PE6rYyXE

It really does hit an emotional button doesn't it....we are in a new generation, will be interesting to see see where it all settles.

BTW, I tried to watch that (9.28 minutes) video and couldn't, way too long and slow...a few bad ass photographs would have done it for me...but yeah, new generation. I use to think model airplanes and gas helicopters were cool (well helicopters still are).

I couldn't watch the whole thing,either, I skipped around but there was some beautiful shots in there, just an example of what can be done, still would be awesome.
10/4/2015
Topic:
Drone use in the Park

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
BTW I talked to Ranger Steve as well yesterday and dromes were NEVER allowed out there. all these videos are Illegal.
10/7/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I will get some up later today.

surfponto wrote:
Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your Tacoma.
I plan on lifting our 2007 Tacoma at some point.

Thanks,
Bob

sddarkman619 wrote:
JBHogan wrote:
Hello forum members,

Longtime lurker, first time poster here, looking for a reputable mechanic or shop to do a mild lift on a late model Tacoma.

My plan is to purchase a Bilstein 5100 kit to get a basic 2" lift, but I don't have the resources available to perform the install work myself.

I'm posting here in hopes that someone here will have a recommendation for a decent shop in the San Diego County area.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, ~J

I did my own lift for my 2015 taco. I have the tools if you have jacks and jack stands. and I don't mean the little jacks from the local parts store or walmart.
4" in front and 3" in back to lift and level.
10/7/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
surfponto wrote:
Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your Tacoma.
I plan on lifting our 2007 Tacoma at some point.

Thanks,
Bob

I miss quoted myself earlier, I only did 3" front and 2" rear.
here's a couple photos, blue tacoma.
This was Sunday, 10/4/2015 up by elliot mine and valley of the moon.
Truck had no issues at all or scraping, the jeep did a little.
The lift took me 2 days to do alone. Actually it took about 6 hours the first day and about 4 hours the 2nd day. as it's the first lift I ever did. and I was doing it alone.
Pretty easy.

10/30/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
The Pinyon Mtn Rd is closed before it gets to the Squeeze, you can't drive thru there anymore.

The squeeze is open.
Body modification ion progress...
10/30/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
So I guess I had my roads mixed up...didn't realize the Pinyon Mtn forked off to the squeeze so yes, it looks like it is open. Thanks sdarkman619 for correcting me and letting us know, I may try and squeeze my truck thru it soon....smile

I'm heading out to diablo dropoff to get to split mtn on sunday. someone put a bunch of toys animals in some of the wind holes there and we(my two little girls and I) are going to go out and clean them out of there. Girls are stoked to get the toys but the desert shouldn't be littered like that, even if it was a cute idea.
Welcome to go along if you'd like. try to get to badland overlook to meet a friend by 9am.
See image, and if anyone can tell me how to resize, the BB Code isn't working.

edited by sddarkman619 on 10/30/2015
edited by sddarkman619 on 10/30/2015
10/30/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
I saw them in your photo, good idea...I may try and go out to meet you, I do not know those roads back in there very well, would be great to drive them with somebody else....will contact you offline to confirm...thanks.

Yeah let's do it. I've been back there a bunch. disconnecting the sway bar and doing some R&D.
11/4/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
here's from our Diablo Drop off last sunday, the 1st is pretty mellow, deep sand.

11/7/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
wintyfresh wrote:
Yep, Broken Shaft Gulch was graded too. upset
Where is Broken Shaft Gulch? Sorry, I am not a big off roader so I am not familiar with a lot of the off road areas...well technically there is no such thing "off road areas" since all vehicle travel off established roads is prohibited in ABDSP but you know what I mean...Cool

Broken shaft gulch is the area after the 2nd part of diablo drop off if I am correct. It' may have been graded at one time but it's not flat. there's still rocks and obstacles down there. and if it was graded it was with a narrow blade.
11/8/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Prius won't make it now.
11/8/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Here's the toy cleanup in Split mountain

11/8/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
Nice...I guess you could kinda call that a "toy drive"....wink

yep, the whole way "Dad when are we going to get to the toys?"....Soon honey after the wind caves....

yeah I didn't see this before until my friend showed me the picture. When I saw it in person I was sort of miffed that someone would do that.
Funny thing, I forgot I was afraid of heights and went climbing up there and got myself on a ledge and froze. Had to take the long way down. Was crazy but it's clean now except for 1 pony.
11/8/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
sddarkman619 wrote:
When I saw it in person I was sort of miffed that someone would do that.
This was out on the road to Panamint near Trona...I about died laughing when I saw it

Now that is funny, reminds me of a scene or two from Toy Story!
11/9/2015
Topic:
Any Interest in going to Pinto Canyon - early 2016

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I'd love to go to Pinto canyon and see that ship picto.
count me in.
11/9/2015
Topic:
Diablo Dropoff graded

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Nolan (anutami) wrote:
Nice! thanks for the clean up, Just hope your kids didn't get bummed out when you tossed em in the trash. I kind of enjoy seeing all those shoes just before scissors crossing, but they probably need to be cleaned up as well. Never understood the thrill of taking a pair of shoes with the laces tied together and throwing them over a branch or telephone wire.

They each kept 1 toy, a stuffed snake and a brown bear. the rest was donated(that were salvageable) to children without toys.
edited by sddarkman619 on 11/9/2015
11/12/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I'll have to acquire a pack first.
11/22/2015
Topic:
cattlemans shack between smugglers cave and Valley

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I lived in Jacumba about 25 years ago for about 3 years. I was shown an old cattlemans shack up in the valley of hills between smugglers cave and valley of the moon. It's off the beaten trails up there but it can be found. I remember going there and there was the shack, water gathering cisterns and pipes and then later going there and the shack was burned down. Burned by some tweeked locals I knew form the area. I went to try to find it a couple weeks ago and couldn't find it and only had a few hours to hike around. Was wondering if anyone else knows of this area and if so can refresh my memory or show me on Google earth where it is. I plan on going up there this week and would like to have lunch there.
See attached photo
Thanks
Larry

11/22/2015
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge Hike Nov. 2015

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Please be in touch next time you go to the Gorge, always up for exploring that place!
Sending you a PM.
11/23/2015
Topic:
Carrizo Gorge Hike Nov. 2015

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
How long did it take you to do that hike? We did a similar hike in 2004 and it took us easily 8 hours. The gorge basin was so overgrown as were thinking we needed machete's to get through in some spots. And we thought it would be the *easy* way...
Gallery:
http://www.gothicsandiego.com/shoots/geotrestle/
11/24/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Thanks Impatient, I'm heading there on Turkey day with the family.
Those horses were mustangs from Nevada or Az I believe, they all had the dry ice brands. I actually owned one of them. The mexicans in the area caught one, a mare, broke her and sold her to Felix the owner of Jacumba. I in turn bought her for 200$ at one point and road her all over up there in the hills.

The stallion used to come down to the stable and try to steal her back. caught him one night and almost got killed trying to scare him off.
I'll post pictures if I find it.
11/26/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Thanks Guys, heading out there now. Also did Solstice cave and Carrizo Pictos yesterday, photos to come later today!
11/26/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Ok so Impatient hikers coords were on the money: 32*37'53.73" 116*05'21.56
what's left of it anyway, and boy how 25 years makes a difference in the terrain and plants that have grown up around there.

Tom, your coords is there something there also or were you thinking this would be the shack? I didn't get a chance to get to those coords.
I'm going back out there soon. I have been up to Elliott mine a few times in the past 20 years but the only time I was in the Valley of the moon was about 25 years ago on motorcycles, so I didn't remember much but walking around out there today, OMG!!!! So damn beautiful and so many places to explore and see. I'll be uploading my photos soon of this and the solstice hike by tomorrow. Such awesomeness out there. Need to get a backpack so I can go to Pinto Canyon with you Tom.
11/26/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
my next purchase is a backpack for pinto canyon. Any suggestions?
11/27/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I will be heading back there tomorrow again. I will be posting pictures later today.
11/28/2015
Topic:
Valley of the moon, Sunday 29th, need a partner

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Anyone wanna join me?
12/13/2015
Topic:
Sheep Canyon Pot Farm

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I went to the link above and it's not there anymore. Sheep Canyon has a pot farm? What about Kitchen Creek, as I go around up there hiking and stuff too.
12/15/2015
Topic:
Sheep Canyon Pot Farm

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
oh good, I don't want to go hiking and get shot on accident.
12/25/2015
Topic:
Solstice Cave and Carrizo Gorge Pictos

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
It's been 1 month since i did this hike, I guess time slipped away from me and I am just now getting to this. This was my little excursion to try to find the Solstice Cave and possibly the Carrizo Pictos which I've been wanting to see for a number of years. The last time I was in Carrizo Gorge was when I placed a Geocache there after hiking the "easy" way to the trestle, from the floor of the gorge UP to the trestle. Probably the hardest way. Anyway after placing the geocache I went home and was not to return until 11 years later, which was last month. As I went to see if my cache was still there, which it wasn't, I realized that I had placed the cache right next to the pictos I'd been wanting to see, and didn't know it at the time.

The start of my day was trying to find Solstice cave and one my way up I found a Yoni rock carving that I had seen once on the internet but didn't know where it was. A chance stumbling, literally, upon the oni was pretty cool. ON my way up I kept going and going and thought I was too high. I looked at my landmarks and notes and I was about to turn around but I decided to go on alittle further but turned the corner of this boulder and there it was, the mouth of Solstice Cave. I was right on top of it and didn't even know it.

I have a video of the cave, not sure if the admins would like me posting it but if you would like to see it or if the admins are ok with it I'll post it.

Over, after having had 2 little ones in the past 7 years I have finally gotten back to my passion for hiking and exploring the desert. My first major hike and it wasn't too terribly bad. Getting ready for my hike into Beveridge canyon in the spring if anyone wants to join me.

on my way up

an oasis?

My truck is way down there

The terrain is pretty rugged up here, cliffs abound all around

Yoni rock

yoni rock there in the center at a distance

Me at the mouth of Solstice cave about to eat lunch

Inside of Solstice Cave

The Sun

Another Sun

Something else? Lizard, Bird or?

The time for the hike to Solstice cave was 3hrs 20 minutes with the 20 minutes being for lunch.
1000' gain and descent.
2 hours for ascent, 1 hour for descent, not back for this out of shape explorer.
The overall length of hike was about 2.3 miles from truck to solstice cave, but as the crow flies it was only .6 miles.
Yoni rock was halfway between my truck and the cave.Approx.

The it was off to Carrizo gorge for a fling with an old mistress.

As I finished checking my old geocache location I was wondering where to look for the pictos and the "Shamans" cave.
I was wondering around the base of the cliffs and decided to go back to my geocache location, and as I approached the location I looked up and caught a glance of what looked like a creepy looking stcik figure being. Sure enough there they were...

Morteros at the mouth

and the Pictos

I've been waiting for a few years to get back to this place to see these guys and I finally made it.
12/25/2015
Topic:
Cattlemans Shack and Valley of the Moon

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
In a previous posting I was wondering if anyone knew where the old Cattlemens shack was in the area near Valley of the moon. The info I received was right on and a tip from another friend was also right on. I've been there several times about 25 years ago, but things change, terrain changes, memory changes etc....Last times I went there I saw it before it was burned to the ground by local tweekers of the area, and then I saw it just after they burned it. A freaking shame too. Upon arriving I realized I probably wouldn't have found it on the first try but one of the areas I cordoned off for investigation proved right on so I would have found it eventually.

If you aren't looking for it you might walk right past it. The terrain has changed a bit since I last remember it and things have grown as well. One thing I didn't remember is it seemed they built this this in a drainage area. which I wonder why. I know water is nice to have but it seemed to be right in a wash/drainage area and wonder if it ever flooded.

So part of the foundation is left as well as some of the water catching devices. A little fencing is still there as well as some posts and such.

After that we went to the Valley of the moon which I haven't been down IN, for 25 years as well. Was myself, my wife and two girls out for thanksgiving day as I had to work the following day we felt Dad needed some time out and about and mom would cook on friday while dad worked. A couple places were really cool, one I call abstract Frankenstein and a rock formation with a geocache on top. I've tried twice so far for the geocache at the top and both times I've not made it to the top yet but I will on the next try. Anyone wanna join me? It's called Paxtons Villa.

Enjoy...

It's right THERE! Can't you see it?

Someone had to potty and we found this very convenient water smoothed wash basin to use.

The first site of the remnants

a dog's watering bowl. only big enough for a dog, really...

a water catchment device

The remains of a stove, roof , bedframe and foundation

The first 2 step and front porch of the cabin

4 things in life that keep me going, my 3 girls and adventure

Water catchment devices

This was the entrance I believe to the area

And now into the Valley of the Moon, by this time it was getting cold and the sun was getting low as well. We got a late start in the day and after finding the cabin we had to hurry to teh valley to get a glimpse of things

Abstract Frankenstein

Some size comparison

wind caves everywhere!

The rock formation I've tried to get to the top of twice now...3rd times the charm, I hope.
12/25/2015
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Finally got photos posted:
http://www.anzaborrego.net/AnzaBorrego/Forum/topic1148-cattlemans-shack-and-valley-of-the-moon.aspx?MessageID=7097#post7097
12/25/2015
Topic:
Tabletop/Trestle/Mortero Palms/Dos Cabezas Spring

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Impatient I guess!
12/27/2015
Topic:
Cattlemans Shack and Valley of the Moon

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
yeah it's beautiful out there Jim. Going back up there soon, again, to get that cache at the top of that rock formation.
The wind caves up there are incredible. I'm going to start exploing that area more. I don't knwo that anyone has much so it might as well be me.
1/25/2016
Topic:
Anza Borrego Site Redo

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Bob, new site looks great, there's some CSS issues with the forum on my end with firefox. formatting and such.
FYI I am very good with wordpress and forums and can help with CSS formatting if you need some help.
Also have lot's of experience with keeping spammers out of the forums I run so if you need a second set of eyes to see what you might not e seeing. Let me know.
1/25/2016
Topic:
Pinyon Wash Overnight

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Bob and Nolan, it's ok to drive in Pinyon wash huh?
But not in Harper valley or Harper flat correct?
Have either of you check out Hapahah Flat? I hear there's Indian village there as well.
1/25/2016
Topic:
Pinyon Wash Overnight

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
great shots there in that other thread!
Yeah my girls are getting big too. So the easiest fastest way to get to Harper Flat is from Split rock? I'm thinking about coming in from The Squeeze, down the dropoff and parking and checking out Harper Dams and the Cabin if I can find it. then going to Harper Flat sometime, I'd love to check out some more Indian habitation sites.
1/27/2016
Topic:
Anza Borrego Site Redo

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
BTW, FireFox works fine on my computer (Linux Mint, FF version 43.0)

Daren check this:
http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/forum/viewpostsbyuser.aspx?UserID=29&Page=18

do you have to scroll right ? seems like the container isn't formatted correctly. Did the cache clean and refresh and nothing, I think it's a theme/css issue. might be browser specific, but the forum works in most areas in others it's not.
1/27/2016
Topic:
Anza Borrego Site Redo

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
dsefcik wrote:
That scrolls because of large images in the post, not layout problems, the forum software does not dynamically resize images for you so if you post large images it will cause the browser to scroll.

sddarkman619 wrote:
dsefcik wrote:
BTW, FireFox works fine on my computer (Linux Mint, FF version 43.0)

Daren check this:
http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/forum/viewpostsbyuser.aspx?UserID=29&Page=18

do you have to scroll right ? seems like the container isn't formatted correctly. Did the cache clean and refresh and nothing, I think it's a theme/css issue. might be browser specific, but the forum works in most areas in others it's not.

ahh right ok...

So have you had a chance to look at that image I sent you?
1/30/2016
Topic:
Pinyon Wash Overnight

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
did you go to the cabin on this recent trip?
Is the cabin one drainage over from the dams? I'm camping in the area next weekend would be nice to see it.
2/1/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
got my backpack.
2/1/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I got an REI Yosemite 75.
I got it specifically because I'm going to start packing but I have a trip planned for Beveridge Milling Camp in the Inyo's in May. But I needed one for this trip too.
2/2/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I read somewhere that it actually shows itself occasionally when the dunes shift.
pretty cool story!
2/3/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
tommy750 wrote:
surfponto wrote:
It is a pretty crazy story...cool though
http://www.robertmarcos.com/ghost-ship/

A great California tale for sure. Unfortunately, it quickly unravels with only a bit of fact checking:
1) You can't sail from the Sea of Cortez right into Ancient Lake Cahuilla since the lake level when full was 42ft and sea level is, well, zero.
2) There is some debate the lake contained water in 1612.
3) It's unlikely the ghost ship was trapped by sand bars because the water level of the lake rapidly dropped. It takes about 57 years for the lake to dry.
3) Sailing the 130 miles to Blythe against the mighty Colorado in a Spanish caravel seems a herculean task.
4) A point 300 ft SE of the farthest eastern point of the Superstition Mts would put the ghost ship about five miles from the nearest shoreline of Ancient Lake Cahuilla and over 300 ft above the highest 42 ft shoreline.
5) The supposed ship-like petroglyph in Pinto Canyon looks ship-like because the bottom half of the strange shape has been removed by the abrasive force of water flowing in the wash. Similar intact pictographs at El Vallecito look nothing like a vessel.
6) Finally, there is no Santa. Sorry.

and you just had to throw in the Santa thing didn't you? Geez... upset
3/16/2016
Topic:
Villager Peak trailhead vandalism

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Buford wrote:

That is one of my fears, coming back to find a vehicle gone or destroyed and no cell reception.

Good reason to always have your delorme InReach on yourself for just such occasions.
3/17/2016
Topic:
Jamul Kiln Ruins

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
For anyone not wanting to get some run around or whatever there's a guided tour hike for this place april 9th:
http://earthdiscovery.org/events/san-diego-natural-history-museum-canyoneers-hike-at-rancho-jamul-ecological-reserve/
3/18/2016
Topic:
Jamul Kiln Ruins

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
See you there?
3/18/2016
Topic:
Jamul Kiln Ruins

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
looks like the link isn't working:
http://earthdiscovery.org/events/san-diego-natural-history-museum-canyoneers-hike-at-rancho-jamul-ecological-reserve/

trying again
3/18/2016
Topic:
Jamul Kiln Ruins

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
and if you follow the more info link:
http://www.sdnhm.org/calendar/public-programs/canyoneer-hikes/
4/7/2016
Topic:
Jamul Kiln Ruins

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
any one going to this?
4/11/2016
Topic:
Chimney in Carrizo Gorge

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Anyone seen the chimney in carrizo gorge, possibly old foremans house?
see attached photo
4/16/2016
Topic:
Jacumba and Table Mountain Exploration

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Last Sunday I went out to Jacumba to investigate some places I've been looking at for a few years. The first is a place I always find pottery, lithic flakes and Morteros. The second was out by Table Mtn.

The first place, off old 80, is a place that literally you park the vehicle, open the door and be careful when your step because the pottery is everywhere. It's a place where many people have camped before and I wish they'd close it to camping so these areas stay protected.
I found so many morteros I stopped counting. Pottery everywhere, and a water source which looked like someone or some thing recently dug it out to drink from.

The second area was behind Table Mtn to look for some documented sites of dwellings and rock art. While I didn't find any rock art I did find more pottery and some morteros. I spent 12 hours out there that day but most of it was previous to the places with the rock art, so my next trip will focus on the rock art areas only.
I hope to get back out there soon. I'm trying to log all the old trails by the railroad as well and some of the benchmarks.
I didn't load all the images of Morteros, as it would be so many as to bore you but there were over 25 that I count. Here are a few.

Watch where you step this stuff is everywhere.

Some nice water falls

Someone, or some thing dug this out to get some water.

The falls from the top with Morteros

One of several guzzlers I ran across.

I-8 in the background left. Followed one of the old Train Construction Trails way back but had to turn around as I was alone and didn't want to risk getting stuck without help. While I had my Delorme InReach I'd rather have a trail buddy with me. Could have driven to the tracks I believe.

Parked the truck at one hill of boulders and went to step out but almost fell over trying to avoid stepping on this

A plugged Yoni? Dude got lucky huh?

Another Yoni.

a very cool cactus garden

a miners water hole

another set of falls that led to ...

This...

possible grave? small one at that, maybe a child?

an old dam.
4/17/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
ziphius wrote:
Looks like a great trip. That stone in the lower right (4th photo) looks amazing, almost like it was intended to be a large point eventually.

Yonis.... I attended a lecture by Dr. Joan Schneider on Anza Borrego archaeology in March and I asked her about Yonis after her talk. She says they are natural geologic formations. Not to burst the bubble of Yoni believers, but she apparently knows her stuff.

Realyl? on the yoni? No real thing huh? hahahaha
4/17/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
rockhopper wrote:
Jacumba / I-8 route is a very old coast to desert trail used my many over the centuries. Only fresh water source during seasonal changes. Great TR and nice Truck photo!

I've found some lighter pottery in the area not native to Jacumba, most likely on trade route. Love the truck!

Here's some of that lighter pottery:

edited by sddarkman619 on 4/17/2016
4/17/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
ziphius wrote:
Looks like a great trip. That stone in the lower right (4th photo) looks amazing, almost like it was intended to be a large point eventually.

There were so many chippings in all the places I went, I just couldn't post all the photos of the Morteros and chippings and pottery, it would get boring about about 30 images. But there's just so much everywhere.
4/17/2016
Topic:
Getting Married in the Valley of the Moon.

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
So I finally tied the knot with my wife and we got married in the Valley of the Moon.
It was a perfect day, no one but myself, my wife, my girls, the celebrant, the photographer and my witness and 2nd driver.
Then dinner at Jacumba Hot Springs. The citrus Cheesecake is awesome.

edited by sddarkman619 on 4/17/2016
4/17/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
anutami wrote:
looks amazing out there, congrats!!!

It is amazing out there, which is why my wife picked it as the place to say our vows.
4/17/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
anutami wrote:
ziphius wrote:

Yonis.... I attended a lecture by Dr. Joan Schneider on Anza Borrego archaeology in March and I asked her about Yonis after her talk. She says they are natural geologic formations. Not to burst the bubble of Yoni believers, but she apparently knows her stuff.

Really? I find that hard to believe. Any more information on how they are formed? They seem to always be around village sites and from my experience I would say it is obvious they are man made.

edited by anutami on 4/17/2016

Well, regardless of if they are manmade or not they are still pretty cool looking and give the mind something to think about. smile
4/17/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
anutami wrote:
ziphius wrote:

Really? I find that hard to believe. Any more information on how they are formed? They seem to always be around village sites and from my experience I would say it is obvious they are man made.

edited by anutami on 4/17/2016

this first image is this one by Solstice cave? I've seen it but don't remember where.
4/18/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
ziphius wrote:
Nice ceremony Sandman. Is the bride wearing hiking boots? smile

That's sddarkman619 not sandman.
and no she's wearing granny boots.
4/25/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
BorregoWrangler wrote:
Nice trip report and photos. I love exploring that area. I still need to get out there again and explore Grey Mountain.

John, probably going out there again either this weekend or the next weekend.
5/31/2016
Topic:
Rockhouse Canyon / Toro Peak BackPack Trip

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Nice TR!
6/2/2016
Topic:
Proposed closures in ABSP, read and act now

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I definitely don't want this happening.
http://www.modernhiker.com/2016/06/02/proposed-restrictions-to-hiking-in-anza-borrego/
6/27/2016
Topic:
Canebrake Valley 3 Day BP

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Do you guys not take radios with you when out there? Might help to locate each other when you can't hear from the wind.
7/5/2016
Topic:
Summer Temperatures around Oriflamme Canyon

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Seems Borrego is the new Death Valley, being hotter than Death Valley lately.
7/5/2016
Topic:
Summer Temperatures around Oriflamme Canyon

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Love the loop I do there, Oriflame Canyon and Rodriquez Canyon.
7/5/2016
Topic:
Table Mountain Explorations

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
So I was out in Table Mountain Area monitoring some things recently and went a little further than I had intended. On my way back it was getting hot and I needed to cool down. Thinking like an Indian I decided to look for the nearest rock shelter and take in some shade and cool down.
I walked into the first place I found and I felt like I had barged into someones living room.
One area of the interior

Looks like someone dropped something

a shard of a different color, with lichens on it

Multiple

Deep and Narrow

In another area of Table Mountain pottery from multiple areas:

and 2 spirit/prayer sticks
7/5/2016
Topic:
Sheep Count 2016

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
good stuff, great use of the camera!
7/11/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Tom do you have a book title that tells of the different types? I'd like to learn more about the different types.

tommy750 wrote:
Roryborealis wrote:
This was found in Pedras Grandes on a leaf of a plant about 2 feet above ground. Literally lifted it as it grew. I wish I had a shot of that! I believe it's a dart, but not for sure.

Nice find! Looks like a Sierra Side Notch point, a type of Desert Side Notch with a third basal notch presumably to center it easier in the shaft before mastic was applied.

edited by sddarkman619 on 7/11/2016
edited by sddarkman619 on 7/11/2016
7/11/2016
Topic:
7 Day Backpack in the Sierras

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
what did you do for acclimation? anything?
7/12/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Damn...out of my budget range. Kindle it is. Thanks
8/10/2016
Topic:
Aqua

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
were you on old 80 by Mtn Springs?
9/20/2016
Topic:
In Ko Pah Explorations and Monitoring

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Headed out to In Ko Pah with Roryborealis Sunday to check on some sites I monitor. More like try to find the sites. Coords were given but back in the 70's when they were first documented, they didn't have GPS. So when digitizing records guestimates were used and some of them were way off.
My main objective was to find a petroglyph called the diamond chain, 1 of 2 that I heard of in the area I am researching. Second is to try to find another site with another prayer stick. third was to find some new pictographs.

I usually bring someone with me as it seems they always find the cool stuff. As it turned out it was still true. Rory and I set off on our first quest for the Dimaond Chain petro. and looking in a site that was supposedly a village. The first time I came there to that area I saw nothing. Coords were wrong. Widened the area and came upon an area so large and so scattered with pottery and stone chippings, we were immediately overwhelmed.
after about 20 minutes of snapping photos and looking, I radioed Rory and he had found a point, as I started on over to his location he radioed me back to tell me he had found the diamond chain petroglyph. He met me part way to show me the point he found, a nice looking piece that I believe is a pacific coast side notch, sub categorized a diablo canyon style with a rounded bottom.

then he lead me to the diamond chain rockshelter and there was the petroglyph. Good thing I brought him because I would not have found it. After looking around inside the shelter and photoing a few other things we walked outside and I turned around to photo it and realized I had seen this shelter before in a report from the 1970's by Ron May. I stood there admiring this place because it's fun finding things you've read about, and been asked to go relocate.

We then went to our next location but on the way stopped at a cave I've been eyeballing for a couple trips, but Rory wanted to go check it out then. as so we did. Again I get a call from Rory that he found a prayer stick up against the wall, but that someone had been sleeping there. From the looks of it it's been a few years since it was sleep in but the stick was not disturbed.

Next we are heading to a place where there is a pictograph and as we get there Rory heads into another direction only to tell me he's found some other pictographs. So I go look and sure enough.

We then go to look for one last location but it was high up on a pile of boulders and we were both pretty tired by then so we decided another day another site.

A great day of documenting and relocating happened. And thanks to Rory, I got to see the things I started out to find.

this stuff was everywhere
t-2037 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

t-2038 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

an agave roasting area
t-2072 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

the point Rory found
t-2094 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

t-2095 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

t-2096 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

inside the shelter
t-2100 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

Diamond Chain Petroglyph
t-2103 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

t-2104 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

Diamond Chain Rockshleter
t-2109 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

the beauty of it all
t-2120 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

an incised rim sherd
t-2124 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

t-2126 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

pottery
t-2134 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

The Prayer stick
t-2150 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

t-2147 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

Pictograph
t-2156 by sddarkman619, on Flickr

t-2156_yrd by sddarkman619, on Flickr
9/20/2016
Topic:
The Santa Rosas Sawmill Trail (Sort Of)

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
the cabin by the spring you didn't go see, why didn't you go further? what did the sign say? and could you not go see it from a different angle?
How many miles was the hike? and did you walk it from the bottom where your tracks begin?
edited by sddarkman619 on 9/20/2016
9/20/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
surfponto wrote:
Very nice.
Looks like a beautiful area.
The pottery pieces are amazing.

Bob

Bob, that was just a photo for an example of what we were finding. There was so much out there it was overwhelming.
9/20/2016
Topic:
The Santa Rosas Sawmill Trail (Sort Of)

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Nice TR and cool trip. looked at the images on Flickr and bought that book today, thanks!
9/20/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I don't really know much about the stone yet, still learning what types of points are what, Thanks to Tom for the book suggestion.
Yeah the pictos seem animal like but who knows.
9/21/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
Roryborealis wrote:
That was an awesome trip Larry! I couldn't of made it out there with my truck. I'm very thankful to be a part of this. I just had to post one more photo of our trip. It's a piece of quarts sitting on some twigs in a cave above where the point was found. I don't know what the significance of it is, but it's random and cool!

Post some of your shot Rory!
10/1/2016
Topic:
Pottery Sherds Galore

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
I'd probably sit there and try to put some of the pieces back together.
10/15/2016
Topic:

sddarkman619
sddarkman619
it was still pretty hot out there but not as hot as it had been. I've not found on with the markings like that before but I have found painted ones.